My host mom finally popped the big question to me: "Do you like Obama?" So I told her yes, and then we briefly talked about the NY mosque and September 11th. I think the French are surprised that so many Americans are upset about the mosque because they view America as a place where one has the freedom to build a church, mosque, whatever anywhere. We both agreed that the victims would not want continued hate and intolerance.
But happier thoughts, I have an illegal job already! I'm tutoring my little brother Prosper in English for an hour a week, at the rate of 15€ an hour. =D He's 11 and is taking his first English course at school. It makes me wish we gave other languages higher priority in the US. Of course, as I have had two different Frenchmen tell me, the French language is dying.
Now I'm two weeks into my normal semester. I love both my classes en anglais, French literature and histories of Paris. They're super interesting. Tuesday we went to the Louvre just to read the outside of it, since it was built by many different kings, queens and emperors. They leave their initials all over the part that they built.
Friday I returned to Versailles to see the inside of the chateau. It was quite lovely, although I have to say, everything in Paris has so much grandeur and gilded ceilings that it does start to be less impressive. They had an exhibition of this modern Japanese sculptor/painter Murakami in the palace, which could not have been any more opposing to the 17th century decor, but it was so out of place that I found it intriguing. I liked all of his sculptures. I also didn't realize that the painting "The Coronation of Napoleon" was so big, approx 10m by 6m!
Friday night I was lucky enough to go the Peace One Day concert, which was amazing. (For more info: http://www.peaceoneday.org/en/welcome ) Going into the concert I had only heard of one of the artists, Youssou N'Dour, and he was incredible. He sings in English, French, Arabic, and Wolof, his native language in Senegal. The other artists were all popular with the French crowd, though not all French, such as Charlie Winston (video below). Vanessa Paradis sang as well. She's Johnny Depp's domestic partner and baby momma, but also a famous French actress and singer. She sang "Hallelujah" in English, and it was breathtaking. But most importantly, the concert was co hosted by Jude Law and Sharon Stone. This is the best picture I got of him. *sigh*
Saturday and Sunday were Les journées du patrimoine (Days of Patrimony), during which all these buildings that are normally closed are open and free to the public just this one time each year. Most are governmental buildings, and most government buildings are gorgeous palaces, but also museums show special collections not on display normally. And it's all free! So I went to the French Senate (Luxembourg Palace), Hotel de Ville (city hall), Maison de Victor Hugo, la Sorbonne (University of Paris main building, and the National Archives. I wanted to visit President Sarkozy's house (Palace Elysee) but I saw the line and decided against it. I found out that my classmate waited in line for over EIGHT hours before she got in. Yeah, it was a once in lifetime opportunity, but I'm glad I chose not to get in line. Saturday night we went out to some bars to celebrate Hannah's birthday, including a bar where you get 10 flavored shots for 18€, and apparently chocolate flavoring with vodka is delicious, who knew?! (If you're my parents, please ignore.) Then we went to a bar with dancing that my friend's cute French boy friend took us to. I was surprised that the dancing at this French bar was much classier than dancing at parties in the US. It's normal to make out in public here, so I thought the dancing would be more provactive. But anyways, a very fun weekend.
PHOTO: Front of Senate chamber
This week I felt overloaded with homework, and today I actually didn't get one of my worksheets turned in, which is one of the few times EVER EVER in my life that I haven't turned something in on time. =*( We did have a test in that class though, if that's any excuse. It looks like the workload is going to continue all semester, but at least it's only a four day school week.
Today there is/was another strike, so I went to the Place de la Bastille to check it out. All the unions had large balloons with their letters of them, and people were wearing shirts signifying their particular union too. Then there was music and vendors selling food and drinks. It looked like a party. I'm thinking it's just an excuse to miss work and party in the streets. Silly French.
More to say, but I'll stop for today.
~Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment