Thursday, October 21, 2010

Rambling Thoughts

Paris is getting colder, and I really like it. This lovely afternoon it's a clear and sunny 50 degrees. The cool weather is refreshing, it makes the city feel prettier. I think the cold air keeps the bad smells at bay or something. (In the past two weeks I have seen two toilets on the sidewalk in different places, which is funny and ironic. I guess the garbage men pick up toilets at the curbside?) Although, the changing weather just makes the Californians complain even more. I can accept them complaining about the cold, even if it's really not that cold, but they still don't understand rain, and I want to yell at them but I hold my tongue. "When I left home it was pouring and now it's not, I don't understand." That's a direct quote. Some key things UC kids here don't understand: Rain comes from clouds. Rain starts and stops. Clouds come and go. It can rain for any amount of time. Just because it's raining/not raining where you are doesn't mean that when you go somewhere else it will be raining/not raining. I wish I could control the weather just so I could throw a tornado at them when they say stupid things. This is incredibly frustrating for me.

(More weather commentary, I know it's thrilling) I realized a few days ago that for the past two years I haven't had a real autumn and that when it's been cold I've been home for Christmas and been with John. The approaching cold and darkness really make me need a cuddle with some hot chocolate and a movie. I'm an avid movie watcher, and I've only watched two movies in the past 9 weeks! And it's hard to get out of bed when it's so dark, luckily daylight savings time is almost here. I just haven't been motivated to do anything recently, not even sleep. Maybe my trip to warm Cairo will wake me up a bit.

Now that I'm in Paris I really want to reread Les Miserables and read The Hunchback of Notre Dame because I know they'll be much more meaningful after living here. I'll actually be familiar with the streets Hugo describes and the politics of the time. The problem is that they're long, and I already have a stack of books with me that I need to read! I just bought a new book on Amazon.fr this week! The first time I read Les Mis it took me two months. It was only 1500 pages. I suppose I *could* read an abridged version, but that feels like cheating.

Next week is midterms and I have a French presentation, so I have a lot of work to do this weekend. Two of my tests are essay tests, and essay tests are rather intimidating to this science major. Eek! At least I have the questions to prepare in advance, but still, me no likey essays on tests. Saturday is my pass time for picking winter classes at Santa Barbara. My planned classes are genetics, plant biology, French 6, and a GE literature class. Funny how right now the classes I think I'll enjoy the least are the classes for my major, yet here I am complaining about essay tests. Silly me.

My host family is leaving for New York tomorrow for fall break, assuming their flight isn't canceled because of the strikes and lack of jet fuel. I hope they make it. I leave for fall break next Thursday, so I won't be seeing them for over two weeks, which is sad. I won't be all alone, my parents' friend and her family, along with a German exchange student, are arriving on Monday, so they'll be living in the house too. Last night at dinner my host mom was having a beer, which is unusual, so I knew she was upset about something, which turned out to be their flight tomorrow. Hopefully by next week when I have a flight the strikes will have calmed down. Later during dinner my mom said that my French was improving, which gave me a huge ego boost, but maybe that was just her beer talking.

I mailed in my absentee ballot today. I actually received a campaign letter in Paris from Cory Williams, which surprised me. I guess he really wants my vote since he spent a whole 98 cents to send it to me! I was surprised when I looked at my ballot and read "Sharia Law is Islamic law. It is based on two principal sources, the Koran and the teaching of Mohammed." I was just shocked to see those words in the state questions! Knowing Oklahoma, I was immediately suspicious. The proposition states that Sharia Law nor international law can be considered in court. On the one hand this is *perhaps* logical, yes, the laws of our country are not Shira Law, and you must follow the laws of the country you are in, but this is not what the proposition is about. It's just blatant Islamophobia that America is sick with. Also, a proposition that lets people choose to not participate in a national health care system. Oh Oklahoma, will you ever learn? If any of you want to review the state questions, they're here. (Link is failing to work)

http://www.ok.gov/elections/documents/sq_gen10.pdf

Also, I am now going to London the weekend Harry Potter comes out, which I'm sure will include sheer madness and anarchy in the streets and robed children. I'm getting very anxious for the movie! I'm excited to see my bad boys Lucius, Draco, and Severus. >:) But no Sirius. :*( You've probably already seen this, but it's fun to watch again! And it's the most entertaining part of this entry.




A bientot!
Sarah

2 comments:

  1. i'm so jealous that you're going to london for the premiere!!! that's so exciting! hopefully cairo will have a midnight premiere of some sort...
    also, les mis is only 1500 pages? that's a lot, last time i checked! :P
    and i can't wait for you to come visit cairo. i'll probably be a really boring host, but i'm excited to see you! :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I'd rather just go to it the next day, but I assume all my friends will want to see it at midnight. The only was sarcasm of course. But if I read the abridged version I will miss the 40 page explanation of the history and layout of Paris' sewers!

    I will be satisfied by seeing you and hanging out in the country of Africa. ;)

    ReplyDelete